Proventil, generic or branded, made from Albuterol is rated high for its usefulness and effectiveness. With a rating of 5.00 this drug helps the user to stop the bronchospasm quickly and even prevent any reoccurrence of it. This drug can be used for different treatments for different medical conditions such as:
- Chronic bronchitis and
- Obstructive pulmonary disease.
You can use generic Proventil as ell which is not any different from the branded drug whether you consider its components, efficacy or even dosage and usage instructions. The generic Proventil simply differs in the name of the medicine, the manufacturer and packaging and of course, in price.
You can also use this inhaler on children as well to prevent prophylaxis of bronchospasms. This is probably one of the most popular medications to treat asthma conditions and symptoms. Proventil is the brand name registered by the American pharmaceutical company Schering-Plough.
The active substance
The most active substance found in this aerosol inhaler is Albuterol. This is a beta 2 adrenergic receptor stimulant that has several unique powers.
- It can dilate the bronchi. This helps in reducing the bronchospasm symptoms in conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, emphysema of the lungs and obstructive lung disease.
- The medication is not protected by any exclusive right and therefore it can be manufactured and sold by any pharmaceutical company for cheap.
However, you must make sure that the product that you buy contains Albuterol as its primary substance. Also make sure that you consult your physician before using it so that you know whether or not to buy Proventil.
The different forms and uses
The unique feature of this medicine is that you can get it in different forms on the market and therefore you can use it according to your need and convenience. It is available in a form of:
- Intravenous infusions
- Coated tablets
- Prolonged release tablets
- Sustained release tablets and
It is also used in other forms such as infusions especially in gynecology. This helps in preventing premature labor, hyperactivity of the uterus and other issues experienced by pregnant women. All these help to avoid miscarriage.
Few specific uses
It is also used as a bronchodilator which is actually the substance that expands the bronchi in case these are spasmodic especially in patients that suffer from acute episode of asthma.
- The drugs show its work by its stimulating property of the beta type two adrenergic receptors on the blood vessels.
- This suppresses the histamine which is the allergy receptor and in turn impedes the response of the bronchi to an allergen.
In addition to these, it also eases the coughing out of sputum.
Doctors also suggests using Proventil for enhancing the metabolic process in a person, though all other diseases and medical conditions should be taken into account and addresses before you start using Proventil. For example:
- This medicine can reduce the production and concentration of potassium in your blood plasma
- It can affects glycol genolysis and
- It can control the discharge of insulin.
In case you suffer from bronchial asthma the medicine is effective to in increasing blood sugar and expedites the rate of breakdown of fat which in turn increases the risk of lactic acidosis.
Using generic Proventil
You should use Proventil when you are diagnosed by your doctor with any bronchospasm related syndrome according to the instruction. You will be better off and safer if you also consult a respiratory therapist and an allergist as well. They will be able to tell you what should be included in the complete therapy for the best results.
- Sometimes this inhaler is used by the doctors to replace any combined therapy. However, in some other cases the doctor may also suggest an additional use of long acting inhalers and corticosteroids as per the need of the patient and for the best results.
- This medicine is the best one to prevent a severe and an acute episode of suffocation that patients suffering from bronchospasm usually encounter with. However, this medicine should not be used as prophylaxis for maintaining the normal condition of the bronchi or to avert the incidence of spasms just like the long acting inhalers.
This medicine should not be used by pregnant women if contraindicated except when it asked to by a qualified obstetrician gynecologist. It should not be used during breastfeeding or on children below 18 months in inhaler form.
Anyone who is allergic to Albuterol should not use just like those known to have any of the following medical conditions:
- Severe chronic heart failure
- Ischemic heart disease
- Heart defects
- Arterial hypertension
- Angina pectoris
- Myocardial infarction
- History convulsions
- Aortic stenosis
- Diabetes mellitus and
- Gastrointestinal stenosis.
All these patients must inform their doctor or healthcare provider to find out whether they can use this medicine even in reduced dosages and under their control and supervision.
Possible side effects
Primarily due to overdose and allergic conditions, generic Proventil may have some side effects that are not major by any quantum. The probable negative effects of using this inhaler are:
- Tachycardia or increased heart rate
- Involuntary muscle contractions
- Nervous tension
- Vomiting and
- Increased sweating.
All these symptoms will subside on its own within a few days of using the inhaler but if you suffer from allergic reactions then you must discontinue using the inhaler and consult your healthcare provider immediately. Few of the allergic reactions are:
- Skin rash
- Erythema multiforme
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- Paradoxical bronchospasm
- Chest pain
- Psychomotor agitation
- Psychoneurological disorders
- Memory impairment
- Suicidal attempts
- Panic condition
- Schizophrenia-like disorders and
- Urinary retention
Therefore, to avoid all these issues and make sure that you get the most benefit of using Proventil you must follow three basic points: always buy it from a reliable store if you are purchasing online like RXShopMD.com, do not use it without consulting your doctor and never overdose. Follow the instructions on the level and never cross 8 inhalations per day which is about 800 micrograms of Albuterol in a day.