While it is not a legal requirement to hire an attorney after a car accident caused by another driver, having legal representation can help you pursue the compensation you are entitled to. Following a crash, you may visit a car repair shop to get your car fixed, go to a doctor for treatment, or be forced to stop working temporarily. A Cheyenne, WY car accident lawyer can help you understand your legal options and protect your rights. With them working on your case, you can concentrate on your recovery, health, and family.
Reasons to Consult with an Attorney Before You File a Claim
To obtain financial compensation for the injuries you sustained, you need to file an insurance claim with the insurer of the at-fault driver or your own insurance provider. Your attorney can help make sure you make a claim to the right party. You should not speak with anyone from the insurance company before you consult your attorney. Insurance companies will always want to look for a way to minimize or eliminate their obligation to you. They may twist your statement and use it against you, so they can just offer a lower settlement or deny your claim. If you have a lawyer on your side, you won’t fall into these traps.
Determining the Damages You Can Collect
Depending on the facts and circumstances of the crash you were involved in, you could file for different damages including the following:
- Lost wages. This damage refers to the time you missed from work while you recover from your injury or get medical care.
- Further medical costs. This includes the medical bills that your doctor thinks you may incur in the future because of the accident.
- Pain and suffering. You could pursue compensation for the physical and emotional distress that the crash caused.
- Disability. If your accident injury resulted in a temporary or permanent disability, you may qualify for disability benefits.
- Reduced earning capacity. If you can no longer do your job and earn a living because of your injury, you can recover this type of damage.
If you have been injured in a serious car accident, you can want to pursue as much compensation as possible. Your car accident attorney will make sure the negligent party is held liable for your losses and damages. They will not settle for less when negotiating a settlement with the insurance company of the liable party.