Pruritus Ani is the medical term for Itchy bottom. When a person suffers from this condition, he has a desire to scratch the anus area due to the irritation of the skin in that region. Inflammation may occur, too. Pruritus Ani is a contagious disease. The reason for it may be a harmful reaction of chemicals in the stool. The itchy bottom can be very unpleasant at times. It can cause immense discomfort to the patient. Pruritus Ani is also called Anusitis and Swamps.
The number one symptom of Pruritus Ani is itching in the anus area. And it goes with a very strong urge to scratch, burning sensation and general pain in the rectal area. The itchy bottom can be a temporary condition or maybe a persistent problem.
The main causes of anal itching can be classified in these categories:
- Physical causes – The skin around the rectum is sensitive. So conditions like diarrhea or constipation may cause pressure in this area which will result in itching
- Dermatological causes – Things like excessive soap, or synthetic underwear may cause contact dermatitis and inflammation in the skin.
- Systemic causes – There are systemic diseases (like diabetes mellitus, hypovitaminosis A and D, and lymphoma) that are linked to Pruritus Ani.
- Biological causes – The moisture in the anus area provides a good environment for bacteria development. And this can lead to infections.
- Psychological causes – Stress, anxiety, and depressive illness can affect some individuals bodies (even their bottoms).
Get more detailed information about Itching problem please click here.
Foods to avoid
Anal itching may be caused due to the consumption of certain foods and drinks like:
- Milk Products
- Tomato products
It is important to adopt such a diet which will include more foods with lactobacillus bacteria in them. It is also good to add more fibrous foods like oatmeal and veggies.
There are many ways you can treat Pruritus Ani.
- If eczema is formed around the anus you can use a steroid cream
- If the problem is fungus infection, then use an antifungal cream
- Avoid irritants
- Pay attention to your personal hygiene
- Eliminate any moisture around the anus area
If the anal itching continues more than a couple of weeks, then you need to see a doctor. You may have to go through some tests to determine the exact cause for the itchy bottom.
If the cause for the disease is identified, then it is easy to treat it. Usually, people respond well to any kind of treatment. There are rear cases in which it may cause a serious problem. If you’ve once suffered from Pruritus Ani, then it is possible to have this condition in the future. That’s why you need to take precautions.
It is true that Pruritus Ani is not fatal and it doesn’t lead to any harmful effects on life. But it is a very embarrassing and uncomfortable condition. So it is better to start the treatment as early as possible.